Friday 1 June 2018

BERNADETTE DALY AND REX ASHWORTH - JUNE 2018







intərˈakSHən is the coming together of two artists, both artists drawing inspiration for their individual art practice from Japan, its arts culture and spirituality.  The photography of Bernadette Daly and the handcrafted Raku pots of Rex Ashworth sit within the window interacting gently.

Friends for a long time, intərˈakSHən is their first creative collaboration.


____________________________



Daly an abstract photographer with a background in Shiatsu and Oriental Therapies is strongly influenced by the principles of Taoism and Buddhism. Her photography style comes from a place of mindfulness and awareness. 

Daly:

“Being an observer in my environment, I am looking closely at the detail that can sometimes be overlooked or disregarded and viewed as undesirable or ugly. I see the beauty in imperfection, I am inspired by the transformation that takes place when an object starts to decompose from weathering and the interaction that takes place between the elements when materials are visibly vulnerable to the effects of weathering and human treatment.

Depicting objects that weather and decay, I look at dirt, rust, peeling paint, scratches to portray a mark of time. This photographic series aims to inspire people to look for beauty in unexpected places.”

Images on display at WINDOWSPACE BEEAC are from ‘Impermanence’ series, exhibited at Edmund Pearce Gallery, Melbourne in 2014
Bernadette studied photography at Photography Studies College 2011 – 2013



WINDOWSPACE–BEEAC is very happy to introduce the work of Rex Ashworth, an artisan quietly living and working in the Colac Otway region  practicing his craft.
  
Ashworth: 

”Beeac was my place of birth in 1962. It is an honour to share my work with passers by and I love the concept of WINDOWSPACE.

I have had an interest in ceramics since my teenage years. My passion led me to undertake a Bachelor of Visual Arts with a major in ceramics at Ballarat University, under the direction of Peter Pilven and Bob Allan. I have also undertaken a Graduate Diploma of Education to share my love of ceramics and knowledge with others.
Throughout the years I have exhibited my pieces at Ballarat, Melbourne, Colac, Queenscliff and Cairns where I was an active member of the Cairns Potters Club.
I have been heavily inspired by Oriental Ceramics – particularly traditional Japanese Raku. My forms are wheel thrown and hand finished in the hope that they resemble an ancient vessel. The pieces are the result of placing the pots in a reduced atmosphere to create an unexpected finish – from a high metallic lustre, to a smoky marble or white crackle effect. Raku brings an element of chance and unpredictability."


WINDOWSPACE-BEEAC
79 Main St, Beeac

Enquiries      windowspacebeeac@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment